HomeAid Northern Virginia
Director of Events
Who We Are:
HomeAid Northern Virginia (HomeAid/HANV) is a charitable 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded in 2001 as the philanthropic arm of the Northern Virginia building industry and serves as a local chapter of HomeAid America. HomeAid believes everyone is deserving of dignity and hope, and for individuals and families struggling with the uncertainty of finding a place to sleep at night and access to programs that support getting back on their feet, the security that comes with having a roof over one’s head and access to critical wraparound services will allow them to focus on the issues that caused them to become homeless in the first place. In our twenty-year history, HomeAid Northern Virginia has made a difference in the lives of over 196,000 individuals and families experiencing homelessness or who would otherwise be homeless in Northern Virginia and beyond. HomeAid makes the right match between our partners in the homebuilding industry who donate time, labor, materials, and expertise and nonprofit renovation and build needs—and manages these construction projects to reduce the financial and staff time burden on nonprofits so that they can focus on direct interventions with clients experiencing homelessness. Our work makes the entire system of safety net nonprofits more sustainable.
Through HomeAid’s Program, the core of our mission, HANV builds and renovates housing and programmatic facilities at a 30-100% savings thanks to the generosity of our professional Builder Captains and Trade Partners. To ensure everyone involved benefits from working with us, HomeAid manages the entire project from beginning to end. From the initial pairing of non-profit and professional building industry partners to handling building and county codes, to architecture and monitoring construction timeline and communication between all parties involved, and everything in between, HomeAid is there to make sure the projects finish on time and well under budget in most cases. This savings enables the service providers to improve and expand their facilities while focusing their limited resources on critical programming and wraparound services necessary to help clients become self-sufficient and move beyond homelessness and trauma.
Summary of Position:
The Director of Events is responsible for the successful implementation of all of HomeAid Northern Virginia’s signature fundraising events. This position will contribute to HomeAid’s overall success by creating meaningful events that foster strong community relations, increase revenue, create donor loyalty and acquire new supporters to engage with our mission. The Director of Events must be able to manage committees and work with volunteers to produce quality events that advance our brand as well as donor involvement. The person will also have a strong analytical background in collecting data, reporting methodologies and producing event budgets.
Event Coordination and Planning:
- Work with Executive Director and CEO in developing the strategy and overseeing the execution of HomeAid’s four fundraising events which include GolfAid, Builders and Friends BBQ, Annual Golf Tournament and Gala & Auction.
- Work with committees to create agendas, prepare materials, procure donations, create event marketing and secure sponsorships.
- Recruit and manage volunteers to provide on-site support during events.
- Manage day of logistics which include but is not limited signage placement, bands, auction, registration, raffle as well as work with on-site event staff.
- Develop budget and oversee financial reporting both internally and externally.
- Manage, prepare and schedule all marketing and promotion of HomeAid events.
- Negotiate with venues, consultants and vendors to secure the best rates.
- Inform and update staff and committee members throughout the event cycle.
- Create and maintain registration, sponsorship, procurement and advertising reports.
- Oversee all post-event coordination including debrief meetings, recognition of key volunteers, financial reporting and data transfer on event platforms.
- Manage all thank you letters and donor acknowledgements related to events.
- Coordinate and assist with any logistics needed for third-party events throughout the year.
- Applying metrics to event outcomes allowing us to analyze and make changes as need.
- Other event responsibilities may be assigned.
- Interview, hire, and supervise Event Intern (one each spring, fall, summer).
- Attend all HomeAid, third party, and other events as needed.
- Other local travel to pick up event related item.
- Site visits and other meetings as need.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Understanding and passion for HomeAid’s mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum five years’ experience in managing events or fundraising activities.
- Flexibility to work evenings and occasional weekends due to the nature of our events.
- Highly organized, and able to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment with attention to detail.
- Must be comfortable with and proficient in delegation of tasks to both staff and volunteers.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills; must be proficient and concise.
- Experience leading/managing volunteers and board members
- Highly organized, intuitive and detail oriented.
- A team player with a positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and DonorPerfect or similar fundraising database.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Constant Contact, and EventGives or similar event software.
- Must demonstrate initiative, superb attitude, and dedication to serving all stakeholders.
- Must be able to lift over 25 pounds.
Compensation and Benefits:
We offer insured benefits of Medical, Dental, Vision, Prescription Drug, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance at no cost to the employee (family members can be added to the plan); and retirement plan. We offer a flexible work environment including a 37.5 hour work week, Paid-Time-Off, and professional development opportunities.
This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys a fast-paced work environment, is able to manage multiple projects at one time, and wants to work at a small nonprofit. HomeAid provides a unique opportunity for someone to play a direct role in helping us serve the thousands of homeless families and individuals in Northern Virginia while working in a fun, exciting and supportive environment.
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.